About us - The Wesley Centre story

From the early days of meeting in private houses the Wesleyan Methodists then used an old malting house in Schorne Lane [formerly Holy Well Lane] in the 1820’s. This was demolished and a small chapel was built on the site which opened in August 1833. This was subsequently replaced in 1864 by the building that stands today which, according to the 1899 Kellys’ Directory, had capacity for two hundred.

So says the The North Marston Story [p66], a book published by the North Marston History Club in 2014.

It’s this building that has been refurbished and renamed ‘The Wesley Centre’ keeping the link with Methodism whose root lies with the brothers John and Charles Wesley.

The church has now become a multi-use community hall intended to be used in the following ways: a History Club Heritage Centre, Sunday School, occasional services, mid-week events and meetings, regular village coffee stop, Brownie venue, social gatherings such as for Baptism and Funeral gatherings, family anniversaries and parties and even business meetings. Think of a community use and The Wesley Centre offers the answer.

 

It provides a spacious hall with seating capacity for 80, a toilet for the disabled, full kitchen facilities, PA with hearing loop and projection equipment.

The Centre is run by the Ecumenical Church Council which is the governing body of St Mary’s Church and The Methodist Church formed when the two churches combined and the Methodist building closed for worship in 2004.